Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Fun with "Cowctus"

This is "Cowctus" from Cow Parade (San Antonio, 2002). She reminded me of some interesting plants I have observed in my neighborhood. So Bob and I went for a walk and took the camera with us. Here are some cool shots of some hot botanical specimens.

This is a prickly pear cactus. This plant is pretty common in Florida, but you don't see too many of them this big.


This is called a century plant. It isn't a cactus but it can live in the desert. These plants are common around here, too, but this is the first one I ever noticed blooming in my neighborhood. After it blooms, it will die. It just wears itself completely out making this huge stalk. It usually lives about 25 or so years. I looked it up on google and so can you!


A blast from the past: Here is a beautiful cactus plant blooming in Zion National Park, Utah. Bob took this picture when we were there in the spring of 2005.

No comments: